Canada has been home for thousands of Filipino immigrants and OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers). Its good governance and economic state led thousands of Filipino lives to betterment. That’s why the number of OFW moving to Canada has been increasing as years pass by.
Now some Filipinos who have moved or working there still possess their Philippine passports. If it’s needs to be renewed, Filipinos residing there need not to worry because you can now renew your passport in Canada. New Philippine passport renewal can be done through Philippine Embassy Office in Toronto.
Why is it important to renew your passport early?
The production of a passport is done in the Philippines. The Consulate has no control over the production of a passport or its shipment to Canada. The Consulate can only advise that the expected availability of a new passport is 8-10 weeks after the submission of application.
The Consulate is not liable if a new passport’s availability is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. Hence, given the aforementioned turnaround time, Filipinos in Canada are strongly advised to renew their passports long before they need to renew their work permits, visas, permanent resident (PR) cards, or update their immigration status.
The Consulate encourages Philippine passport holders to renew their passports at least eight (8) months before the expiry date.
Passport applicants are also advised not to purchase plane tickets until they have received their new passports.
What are the requirements to renew Philippine passport?
- You have to be physically present if you desire to renew your passport. Go to the PE Office of the Philippine Embassy in Canada. You can go there as a walk in applicant or set an appointment by setting online appointment for Filipino passport renewal.
- Present your latest passport together with the photocopy of it showing your photo and complete name.
- Do not forget to bring and fill out your passport application form.
- Bring the original and photocopy of the following:
- Permanent Resident Card and/or Work Permit in Canada
- Dual Citizenship Certificate
- Latest Tourist Visa
- Status Verification from CIC
- Record of Landing (if within 3 years from date of arrival)
- PSA Birth Certificate, original and photocopy, and one (1) valid identification document (ID) in case your latest passport is an MRP or Machine Readable Passport.
- The passport fee for renewal would be C$81.00. Applicants can pay in cash, or by money order, bank draft payable to Philippine Consulate General.
Remember that all passports should be renewed six (6) months prior to its expiration date. Also, all applicants must provide a self-addressed prepaid return envelope from CanadaPost, with a secured signature on delivery sticker if possible, or a private courier service in accordance to the applicant’s choice. The Philippine Consulate in Vancouver will not be held responsible, however, if passports and/or documents may be lost in the mailing.
There’s also a consular outreach program in different areas in Canada (e.g. Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto) and you can check the list of the places that the consular will visit to reach out in different areas with Filipinos who wish to renew their passports without needing to go to the Philippine Consulate Embassy located in Vancouver.
How many days to renew Philippine passport in Canada?
The processing of renewal of passports will take around ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks.
For more information and inquiries, you can visit The Philippine Consulate General Embassy in Vancouver’s website and inquire with the following information provided:
- Official website: http://www.vancouverpcg.org/home2.html
- Address: World Trade Center Office Complex 999 Canada Place, Suite 660 Vancouver, B.C. V6C 3E1
- Phone number(s): (604) 685-1619 or (604) 685-7645 Fax: (604) 685-9945
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonus: Download Related Forms
- New Regular Passport Application Form (Adult)
- Renewal Regular Passport Application Form (Adult)
- Regular Passport Application Form (Minor)
- Report of Birth
- Affidavit of Loss (passport)
Take note that from Mondays – Fridays, the working hours would be from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday) and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm every last week of the month for Friday.